Tuesday 15 June 2010

Does it look green to you?

 In today's society we are constantly urged to recycle, re-use, be green or whatever else you want to call it.  Even though the infamous image of a cute polar bear on a tiny bit of what used to be an iceberg brings a tear or two to my eyes, I cannot say that I'm an environmentally aware person.  I have no idea if the packaging of my food in the fridge is recyclable, or what my travels between London and Cyprus have done to the ozone layer. I've recently become interested in the introduction oforganic cotton and ethically sourced materials for clothing as well the concept of being fair trade in the fashion  industry so imagine my surprise when i saw these babies:


These might look like a pair of ordinary shoes but these are actually the latest collaboration between Jean Paul Gaultier and the Brazilian rubber shoe brand Melissa.  Melissa has worked with Vivienne Westwood and Zaha Hadid in the past to create rubber shoes and I have always been skeptical about how long one can survive in them before being killed by blisters. I've been told that they are pretty comfortable though.  These 10 cm high heels are made out of opaque and transparent plastics and come in black, beige, caramel, lime and tangerine.  And the best part? 100% recyclable!  “Working with Melissa has been a coup de pied à la mode! I’ve enjoyed the challenge of creating a high heeled plastic shoe with all the values of my design ethos", says the designer himself.  I think the shoes are beautiful and at £160 they are a bargain and an amazing excuse to do your bit for the environment. Who can argue with that?!

 
Miaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment