Friday 16 July 2010

Denis Simachev is BACK!!!

Denis Simachev, a Russian designer who I've blogged about in the past, is back on the scene! I'm so excited about his latest project called "The 15 brotherly republics". The concept is that the extravagant designer will tour all of the ex-USSR countries and dedicate an individual collection for each one. The whole collection of 15 countries will then be shown in Paris by next year. The whole thing kicked off in Kiev, with Ukrainian-inspired outfits, in what I assume is Buddha Bar, judging by the pictures. I can't believe the irony! I was sitting in that exact bar a few weeks back. I was in Kiev one month ago and I spent the whole day running up and down the city looking for one of his boutiques! In the end, all of the addresses that were online were outdated and I didn't get my hands on any of his pieces, although an acquaintance in Kiev had kindly offered to take me to the local market to pick up a t-shirt with soviet memorabilia after hearing me explain who Simachev is and seeing the tragic expression in my eyes. That's totally not the same though! Anyhow, there has been loads of criticism coming Simachev's way, with people saying that he's repeating the whole USSR theme and that it's getting boring but I completely disagree. That's the niche that he had cleverly snatched for himself in the fashion industry and that is his signature look. If you don't want to see any of his ironic and nostalgic slogans on a chochloma-printed T-shirt then Dolce is probably somewhere across the road. Don't hate, I'm sad that I didn't think of it first too, but the fact is that he may not be the next Christian Dior in terms of tailoring but he is very clever and conceptual. To embrace the Russians' love for labels, he even stitches his name on a place where it will be visible. Tacky you say? I say ironic. I will get my hands on him sooner or later. Just you wait.


Traditional Ukranian cap



Star-printed maxi dress is exquisite


Check out the stitching on the back of the skirt
All images lifted from vogue.ru

Miaw.

2 comments:

  1. DID YOU KNOW THAT THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN WHEN CATSandCOUTURE turned 7 months old?!?!?! I BET U DIDNT! thats HALD A YEAR! Congratulations!!!

    From the guy that u forgot about...

    ReplyDelete