Monday 26 April 2010

Trash The Dress!


I can't believe I did not hear about the Trash The Dress movement before!  I found out about it through a fashion photographer that I have met the other day, and after looking it up I came up with the conclusion that this is one of the most beautiful things that I have seen in a very very long time, both intellectually and aesthetically.  The idea behind it, is that straight after the wedding ceremony, the bride goes and completely destroys, kills and trashes her wedding dress by ripping it, rolling in mud, jumping in water etc.  It's meant to symbolise the bride's commitment to her marriage because it is as if she is saying that she has no intention of ever getting married again or wearing the wedding dress.  As a person, I struggle to throw away my dirty, smelly slippers because I get so easily attached to them, so the idea of destroying the most important and (possibly) the most expensive dress that you will ever have is horrifying, to say the least.  But then again, if you think about it, what's the point of keeping it nicely wrapped up in your closet, only for it to be eaten by moths?  It's not like you can ever wear it again.. Plus it's so refreshing to see a different kind of photography besides the "this-is-me-and-my-husband-and-we-are-so-happy-and-the-sky-is-blue-and-we-have-a-palm-tree-behind-us" scenario.  As I have mentioned before, destruction can sometimes elevate and make something ideal.  This is a fashion version of the Hara-Kiri (Japanese ceremonial suicide carried out by the Samurai warriors in order to die honourably rather than with the help of an enemy) don't you think? Better to destroy it yourself and have amazing photographs to remember it by, rather than risk it getting lost, stolen, eaten or reminding you how much slimmer you were back in the day hehe.  I'm certainly not the "Omg, I can't wait to get married" kind of girl, but this is mind-blowing and maybe I would even consider doing this myself one day (Sorry Elie Saab/Vera Wang).





Miaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment